Until 1910, BSA sold only components and bicycles in ‘knock-down’ form. These were known as BSA FITTINGS MACHINES.
HISTORY: BSA made Otto bicycles in 1880, followed by a variety of other bicycles and tricycles, until October 1885, when they decided to give up making complete cycles and parts to focus on Government orders for arms manufacture.
They started make cycle components again in 1893 after a lull in government arms orders. They gradually built up this side of their business to become a leading supplier of cycle fittings.
BSA started supplying complete bicycles only after 1910. The company’s annual report in 1908 had indicated more demand for BSA Fittings in the export market but a stronger demand for complete machines in Britain.
A BADGE FROM A 1910 FRENCH BSA FITTINGS MACHINE
THAT STATES IT WAS BUILT FROM GENUINE BSA COMPONENTS